Wednesday 9 October 2013

tuberculosis and elections

I should say outright that I don't have any photos to show you today, and it's such a shame, because the shop looks SO GOOD. My fairy-godpainters have transformed the p lab into a beautiful TB ward. I picked TB because there's nothing sterile about it, but it looks so clean and pretty. Maybe it's nothing like a TB ward; it's just that with the white walls, wooden floors, and sun pouring in, it makes me think of the sanitarium in which old turkey-gizzards Buddy finds himself in The Bell Jar. In any case, the place is transformed. Today the skirting goes on, and tomorrow, the fun begins! By "fun" I mean cleaning and jobs where I can be of use (provided I don't repeat yesterday and find myself sleeping in the car for the last hour of activity; I blame the baby - it's very lazy and strong-willed). We'll also buy the dressmaker's dummy, for which/whom I need to find a name. I keep thinking of Miss Blossom in I Capture The Castle (one of the best books ever), but I don't think our mannequin will be quite as cheerful or helpful. Jimmy and I name most of our appliances (some pathetically comical, like our previous blender, Wendy) and they're always very nice and reliable, but anything with the slightest person-ness always seems to develop a bit of an attitude.

Anyway, in the absence of photos, I came here to talk a little bit about the imminent local elections. Today is the last day to post your vote, and all voting closes on Saturday. I just want to say PLEASE VOTE. This government is doing everything it can to take the demos out of democracy; the Anadarko Amendment and Amy Adams' proposal to make applications from oil companies "non-notified" being prime examples of this. When we have the chance to participate in what happens to this place, I really believe we have a responsibility to do so (I should clarify that by "we" I mean "people who care about more than only themselves", so I suppose I'm not entirely democratic either. A post-grad student was quoted in our local paper saying she wasn't going to vote because there's not enough information "around" and, after my blood calmed down to a gentle simmer, I decided maybe, in the spirit of meritocracy - which I know is wrong but is SO appealing - that it's best that such morons don't vote). Some things might be able to be eventually fixed; some things lost are lost forever.

I wasn't sure how to end this and then Changes came on the playlist I've had going while I've been writing, and it's so apt (but the record company won't allow playback from blogger). I think the council seems unimportant to some people, but it really isn't, especially not if you look at change as being something that starts with an individual. Our councils spend our rates. They (ideally) defend us against the government when necessary. And they determine the direction in which our cities and towns are headed. Unimportant? Maybe if you're dead. And even then, they can dig you up.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment