Tuesday 1 October 2013

painting, and then talking (at length) about painting


Once again, the romance of film and literature has misled me. This time, it was Fried Green Tomatoes (At The Whistle-Stop Cafe). I forget how it happened in the book (which is really worth reading; I'm a huge fan of the movie, for which Fannie Flagg co-wrote the screenplay, but you gotta read the book), but in the movie, I distinctly remember Ruth, with child, painting and being as involved in the setting up of the cafe as everybody else. So naturally, I've been entertaining visions of myself; pregnant, smiling, ready for work in a fabulous thirties outfit - bathed in golden light, painting walls and sweeping floors. IT WAS A LIE. Or maybe it was just the times; I conveniently forgot about the scene where she gives birth to Buddy and is promptly handed a beer (I WISH). Anyway, painting today was not as I had expected. Firstly, I didn't do any for a while, because I didn't want to put on my awful painting clothes (trackpants with that gathered elastic at the ankles that looks a bit like the fabric tops people put on jam jars when they sell marmalade at fairs), so I did an OCD job of putting masking tape on the light switches and power points (they now look impressively mummified). Then I took Joe for a walk. Then it was lunchtime. I'm a slow eater, and by the time I finished, there were only forty minutes left to work. So I put on my painting outfit (and immediately needed to pee, but didn't want to leave the shop and have people see my jam jar ankles, so I held it), and commenced cutting in. I've cut in before; around the skirting in my niece's first bedroom - it took me about an hour to do about two metres, after which I was retired. This time I was much faster, but ten minutes in started to feel woozy, which I blame on the baby - not its fault, but also totally its fault. Maybe (it was hot). I took a break, then tried again, which was when the headache began. I walked around the room for a bit with my brush and paint to make the most of having poured paint into a Subway cup (and not wanting to appear to be shirking, or to reclaim the title given to me several times during renovation projects ie tits on a bull), and gave up.

I thought about deleting this, but one day it might be interesting to see what paint and pregnancy can do to a person's brain. (I should assure you that I was only around the paint for about twenty minutes, that I wore one of those mask things for a while until it made breathing difficult and which I now realise protects against dust not fumes, and that I won't be doing any painting tomorrow or any other day before next March - unless it's outdoors, or my nails.) There is nothing simple about anything. I should have known that from Fried Green Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment