Friday 11 October 2013

Birkin


What is it about Jane Birkin? I can't put my finger on it. Sometimes I wonder why she's the icon she is and if it's just style-blogger group-think, and then I'll find I've been looking at the same picture of her for what feels like an age. I feel like I want to lump her in with Marianne Faithfull (whom I detest) with her eyes and lashes, but she's not like her. I only know what's on wikipedia about her, yet I'm convinced by her face that she wasn't the passenger Faithfull was, but an adventurer, and, to borrow a phrase from a friend, that she paddled her own waka. I like her.

I also like how she didn't feel compelled to wear a bra. I frequently refer to my epilator as a tool of patriarchal oppression; I should save that title for my bras. Why are women's nipples considered so offensive, or so much more sexually suggestive than any other part of our bodies (including the rest of our breasts)? I'm too tired to think through how I want to say it exactly, but sometimes a bra is to a top as golf is to a walk. Let nipples be FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment