Friday 16 August 2013

friday round-up


1. More cabin love. It's from here, but I found it on my friend Huni's blog (which is one of my favourites on the whole wide internet). Among other things, she makes jewellery (which I someday hope to have in the shop), and is also one of the most stylish people I know.

2. Celine Kim (of my last post, although probably of about a million things before that) has a blog, and on that blog posted pictures of a wedding she photographed recently, and that wedding included the MOST BEAUTIFUL WEDDING DRESS THESE EYES HAVE EVER SEEN. In case the capitals didn't convey it: I want to go to there. And the bride's perfect hair! Celine's photos are beautiful; see the rest of them here. Do these photos make me wish I'd worn a bra on my wedding day? Yes, they do. Hindsight = 20/20.





3. I have to mention Lorde and Valerie Adams, making NZ, and particularly NZ women, look awesome this week. So nice to be in international news for something other than our regrettable PM's gaffes, or the messes happening in parliament...

4. Springsteen is coming. March 1, Mt Smart Stadium. I should be elated, but I'm not, because the timing is terrible. TERRIBLE!

5. Do you remember what real punk sounds like? As well as being righteously angry, it's the most joyful sounding music I can think of; the nearest anything comes is two tone (which is partly derived from punk anyway). I thought punk, and the joy of punk, was dead, and then Jimmy showed me this video of Diarrhea Planet covering Springsteen's ode to life and youth, Born To Run, and I believe again. Play it loud, and don't let the vocals put you off; by the end you will think they're perfect.

This is barely a speaking of which, but I never get to show off about this, so: Speaking of punk, did you know I've actually seen Mick Jones and Paul Simonon in concert? (If you whippersnappers are thinking duh, The Clash, may I inform you that Mick was fired a couple of months after I was born, the band disintegrated when I was three, and when you get to thirty you will realise that it is not that old, so this story IS a big deal for me. Would that I had seen them play live with Joe and Topper!) Well, that was a disappointing brag. Okay, how about this: Speaking of two tone, Jimmy and I saw The Specials (minus Jerry Dammers) last year, and they were AWESOME. That's better.

2 comments:

  1. Craig and I saw The Specials at the The Enmore in Sydney. Best gig ever, no contest. Um, except for maybe when we saw The Beat, also in Sydney. Middle aged men never looked so good.

    ReplyDelete