Tuesday 2 July 2013

tv inspiration: Colleen Donaghy

I LOVE 30 Rock. Jimmy and I have seen the entire series many times over (excluding the final episode; once was sweet sorrow enough for me), and it just doesn't get old; I actually think it stops me from feeling quite so homesick, because the characters have become like friends (I know that's weird). Liz Lemon is the most significant fictional character with whom I've felt an affinity since I first met Holden Caulfield (I KNOW). 

You wouldn't think a comedy like 30 Rock would have much in the way of notable fashion. But you'd be wrong. There's Liz's "I'm pregnant with a kitty-cat" joker-inspired get-up. There are Tracy's dollar bill shirt and solid gold shoes, and little Tracy's Chewbacca costume made from discarded hair extensions. And there's Jack's "continental" hair part.

But there's only room for one style monarch at 30 Rock, and the crown belongs to Colleen Donaghy. The furs. The hats. The glasses. The vests. The ties. And the diamonds. The only thing sharper than Colleen's outfits is her tongue.

"You're going to have to work your backside. Because chest-wise, you have the measurements of an altar boy."






"This is a disgrace! What are my chums at the Death Shore Retirement Community going to say when I tell them that my unmarried son has knocked up a Protestant?"



"My mother tried to send me to Vietnam to make a man out of me. I was twelve."


"I love my mother, Lemon, obviously because of Stockholm syndrome."

No comments:

Post a Comment