Friday 21 June 2013

a song for friday

Anticipation is exhausting. (Particularly when the anticipated event doesn't eventuate.) So is mourning. I'm surprised it's Friday already, but I'm glad for it. It's been one of those weeks where I've felt like I've just been passing time. It can be isolating, feeling like that when everyone else seems like they have a plan. Songs like this make me feel more like it's just a break from that plan, or any plan, and that the isolation is a chance to see things from the outside, which is often where the best view is.

These guys are touring NZ next month - I hope they're as excellent live as they are recorded. And I reckon it's time to watch Respect Yourself: The Story Of Stax Records again - it opens with Otis singing I've Been Loving You So Long at Monterey, and if you want to feel reconnected to humanity, you can't find a much better place to launch from than that (he didn't write The Dock Of The Bay until after Monterey and I don't believe he had the chance to sing it live, only recording it days before he died). If you're stuck for something to watch while hiding from the hail, I highly recommend it (but make sure you're wearing waterproof/no mascara). Oh, Otis. Sometimes I really hate aeroplanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment