Friday 19 April 2013

a voice of money

When I saw these photos of Carey Mulligan/Daisy Buchanan shot by Mario Testino for Vogue, I immediately wanted to share them here because I think they're breathtakingly beautiful. But I wish I didn't. Vogue is an unapologetically racist institution. If you need convincing, may I cast your memory back to Anna Dello Russo's Japan editorial when she used white models and taped their eyes, the ratio of white to non-white models featured across all Vogues, and most recently, this Vogue Netherlands blackface editorial (courtesy of Jezebel). It plays a significant role in perpetuating racism in fashion, and is making very, very slow progress in changing. I know all of this, and yet still find myself looking longingly at Vogues in magazine stores, and eagerly wolfing their contents when someone has one. It's difficult when you like to look at pretty things, but know you're making something more powerful by doing so. It's like the voice I've silenced when I eat McDonalds. 

See more from the shoot here. The film comes out in June; I'm not sold on any of the casting (I always pictured Nick's face as being less rounded than Tobey Maguire's, and Carey's slightly mournful face isn't quite how I imagine Daisy's...) but we'll see. Happy Friday!





1.&2. Chanel Haute Couture 3. Alexander McQueen (and the shoes, the shoes!) 4. (my favourite) Oscar de la Renta

No comments:

Post a Comment