Monday 10 June 2013

film inspiration: student exchange


Whether or not you remember Student Exchange (Mollie Miller) will probably depend on your vintage. Wikipedia tells me it was a made for tv movie that came out in 1987; I remember watching it on vhs at my cousins' house around 1989. I was too young to properly get the storyline then (watching it today was stressful; what about their early acceptances?! why can't Neil just TONE IT DOWN?!), but I distinctly remember Carol/Simone's wardrobe, and how completely amazing it was.

Fast-forward twenty-something years, and here I am, sick in bed, and still being blown away by both Carol's AND Neil's style. The hair! The hats! The super-wide belts! The colours! The hair! The scarves! THE HAIR! Why don't people wear fake plaits anymore? When did mouse stop being an acceptable main-character hair-colour? And when did fringe up become a crime?

As soon as I'm well again, I'm on the lookout for a pink bomber jacket, I'm stocking up on hair-spray, and I'm rethinking the removal of the shoulder-pads from the dresses I've bought for the shop. In the meantime, let us all enjoy these grainy screenshots I took (the version I watched hasn't been remastered; may it remain in its grainy 80s glory forever). DRESS FOR SUCCESS!









No comments:

Post a Comment